Mon, 29 February 2016
Evo Terra is currently traveling with his wife, of over 20
years, all around the world. He’s sitting in Bangkok as he talks to
me and you can obviously hear the exotic wild life behind him
during the interview. Evo is an OG because according to Podcast
Alley, he was the 40th podcaster. So just like my previous guest
Danny Pena, Evo has been podcasting for a long, long time. He
shares his stories on how he got into this medium, the various
podcasts he has started, and why he ‘prunes’ his friends.
- 05:00 – Evo is in Bangkok,
Thailand right now.
- 09:10 – According to Podcast
Alley, Evo was the 40th podcaster.
- 11:10 – Why did podcasting
- 15:30 – There’s no way to keep a
- 17:00 – How are these random
people considering themselves ‘gurus’?
- 18:10 – How many podcasts has Evo
started? It’s either 7 or 1,000!
- 19:30 – Why did Evo start
- 28:10 – Remember, Evo is doing all
of this while he’s in Bangkok!
- 29:45 – The Slack podcast is
- 31:00 – Has Evo always been like
- 34:00 – You’re on sacred ground
when you try to compare Batman/Superman or even Star Wars/Star
- 37:40 – Does Evo still ‘prune’ his
- 42:15 – Why did Evo and his wife
Sheila decided to travel the world?
- 44:30 – People say Evo is lucky,
he’s not. He just tries to help other people.
- 50:50 – Where was Evo’s mindset
when he decided to leave the US?
- 58:50 – Evo talks about his
current travel podcast.
- 01:05:55 – I really resonate with
Evo and Sheila’s honesty on the podcast.
- 01:09:00 – Evo has some wisdom on
how to keep a marriage together.
- 01:13:20 – What is the most
misunderstood thing about Evo?
- 01:15:10 – What has Evo changed
his mind about recently?
- 01:19:50 – Google Evo’s name to
find out more!
FULL SHOW NOTES: http://www.podcastjunkies.com/79
Direct download: PJ079-EvoTerra.mp3
-- posted at: 8:00pm EDT
Tue, 23 February 2016
Danny Peña has been podcasting for last 10+ years and has a ton
of experience to bring to the table. He is the founder and host of
GamerTagRadio and has received international media attention from
Forbes, Gamespot, IGN, Wall Street Journal, and more. He also won
the Microsoft MVP award both in ’05 and ’09 and hosted the first
gaming show for Discovery Channel Latin America.
- 04:50 – Danny talks about his
- 06:00 – How did Danny get into
- 09:15 – Danny used his ‘street
knowledge’ to promote his podcast instead of using social
- 11:20 – Danny talks on how
rappers/hip hop artists promoted their work pre-internet days.
- 14:50 – Twitter bombing is so
- 16:05 – What was it like being on
the Podcast Movement stage?
- 17:30 – Danny and I talk about our
love for DJing back in the day.
- 19:10 – You could literally spend
half a day looking at vinyls.
- 22:35 – Danny moved to Miami in 92
and it was completely destroyed from hurricane Andrew.
- 24:00 – Danny talks about the E3
(Electronic Entertainment Expo) conference in L.A.
- 27:15 – Your podcast being in New
and Noteworthy is cool, but what are you gonna do after that?
- 30:55 – Don’t depend on
interviewing other successful podcasters.
- 34:55 – Danny talks about his
- 37:30 – Believe it or not, Danny
used to be incredibly shy in Kindergarten.
- 43:15 – Let people hear your voice
and your message. We don’t always get a spotlight.
- 46:10 – You can’t fake being
consistently passionate time and time again.
- 49:05 – Danny talks about how he
met Bill Gates.
- 52:45 – Get out of your house and
- 01:01:00 – Danny talks about his
podcasting highlights in 2015.
- 01:03:10 – How did Danny build his
- 01:12:00 – Companies often ask
Danny to cover an event, but he also wants his team to be
- 01:14:50 – Hang around people who
have the same can-do attitude you have.
- 01:15:50 – Danny talks about the
responses he has received from his fans.
- 01:19:30 – Danny explains when he
cried on the Podcast Movement stage.
- 01:22:40 – Danny shares a story
about an event EA invited him to.
- 01:28:55 – When Danny tells
stories, he’s just painting a picture for the listener.
- 01:35:05 – Be sure to visit
GamerTagRadio.com see what Danny Peña does.
FULL SHOW NOTES: http://www.podcastjunkies.com/78
Direct download: PJ078-DannyPena.mp3
-- posted at: 8:27am EDT
Mon, 15 February 2016
Brittany and Amanda are the co-hosts of Once Upon a Podcast, a
podcast about the TV show Once Upon a Time. Each week the co-hosts
offer constructive thoughts and insights about the show, and more!
Brittany and Amanda discuss some of their favorite TV shows and
early childhood recollections with me. They also talk about how
writers who reveal too much ‘behind-the-scenes’ information can
spoil a bit of the TV magic.
- 04:50 – What kind of podcasting
skills have Britt and Amanda learned?
- 06:30 – How did Amanda get into
- 07:50 – When did Britt discover
- 11:05 – Podcasts are the perfect
medium for education.
- 14:55 – Why did Britt and Amanda
choose Once Upon a Time as a topic for their show?
- 21:20 – Are there other Once Upon
a Time podcasts?
- 26:45 – Best TV show ever? Borgen!
It’s the Danish version of West Wing/House of Cards.
- 27:55 – Britt talks about her
earliest memory of a TV show.
- 29:35 – First movie Amanda ever
saw? Little Mermaid. First movie she loved? Sound of Music and Mary
- 31:25 – When writers interact with
their fans, it can sometimes spoil the magic of the show.
- 33:20 – Brittany talks about
putting self-imposed restrictions on herself.
- 44:10 – Remember that your words
- 52:15 – The places where both
Amanda and Britney work are supportive of their podcast.
- 56:30 – A happy employee always
comes back to work.
- 56:55 – If you’re a boss, listen
to these wise words of wisdom.
- 01:00:00 – What’s the most
misunderstood thing about Brittany?
- 01:01:15 – What did Amanda change
her mind about recently?
- 01:01:40 – What’s one thing the
ladies appreciate about their co-host?
- 01:07:35 – The 100th episode is
coming up soon. Tweet the co-hosts your ideas!
FULL SHOW NOTES: http://www.podcastjunkies.com/77
Direct download: PJ077-BrittanyandAmanda.mp3
-- posted at: 6:00am EDT
Mon, 8 February 2016
Ron Dawson is a film maker and the host of the Radio Film School
podcast. Ron’s show is a radio documentary series on the subjects
of film making, movies, and cinema. He adds a lot of fun TV and
movie references into his show, which just adds to the richness of
his podcast. I recently met Ron on Blab and when I heard his
podcast for the first time, I had to binge listen to all of his
- 00:06:50 – Ron and I met on
- 00:07:45 – I binge listened to
Ron’s show. It’s sooo good.
- 00:09:10 – Ron watched a lot of TV
on the weekends, growing up as a kid.
- 00:14:35 – Ron explains what his
podcast is about.
- 00:16:10 – What inspired Ron to
start a podcast?
- 00:22:40 – Ron puts a lot of
movie/TV audio bites in his show and he is always filled with
- 00:24:45 – We talk about EP 09 –
The Salieri Syndrome.
- 00:27:10 – I get a little OCD over
- 00:31:30 – Ron….a hip-hop
- 00:33:15 – Did you know I was in
an all-boys Catholic high school?
- 00:36:55 – What I really enjoy
about Ron’s podcast is that he opens up and gets personal in
- 00:45:00 – If you’re doing an
interview-style podcast, your personality is what has to stand
- 00:47:55 – What has Ron learned
from his guests?
- 00:49:40 – Believe it or not, you
can learn from an older generation.
- 00:52:00 – Look outside of your
genre for inspiration.
- 00:55:00 – Ron and I enjoy
watching the trailers more than the actual movies.
- 00:56:45 – Where is Ron currently
in his personal hero’s journey?
- 01:01:40 – You gotta have the
valley in order to have the peaks.
- 01:02:20 – How have mentors helped
Ron along his journey?
- 01:05:40 – What has Ron changed
his mind about recently?
- 01:10:15 – Ron and I talk about
the fine balance between explaining and not explaining a
- 01:14:40 – Ron had a whole segment
focused on women in film making.
- 01:19:45 – What’s the most
misunderstood thing about Ron?
FULL SHOW NOTES: http://www.podcastjunkies.com/76
Direct download: PRE-PJ076-Ron-Dawson.mp3
-- posted at: 6:00am EDT
Mon, 1 February 2016
Erik (aka Mr. Blahg) and Grace are the co-hosts of Under the
Comic Covers, where they discuss and review independent comic
books. We find out about their podcast origin stories and why they
love independent comic books so much. Erik recalls that he
initially hated the comic book medium because he is a literature
snob, but was eventually converted when he picked up the graphic
novel Watchman by Alan Moore.
- 00:04:15 – How did Erik get the
name Mr. Blahg?
- 00:08:15 – Grace talks about The
Walking Dead cast
- 00:09:10 – How did Erik meet
- 00:12:35 – Why does Grace like The
- 00:14:15 – How did Under the Comic
- 00:18:00 – Erik and Grace work so
well as co-hosts.
- 00:25:55 – Why did Grace cry on
- 00:27:25 – Despite being a
literature snob, Erik explains why he likes comics.
- 00:31:35 – How did Grace get into
- 00:34:00 – People are often
disappointed when they hear Erik and Grace run an independent comic
- 00:37:30 – Erik doesn’t feel
comfortable interviewing other guests.
- 00:41:25 – You can create a
podcast about anything.
- 00:42:10 – Erik and Grace talk
about their listeners.
- 00:48:20 – What cool things has
happened to Grace because of the podcast?
- 00:51:40 – What are Erik and Grace
- 00:53:55 – Erik talks about the
music on their podcast show.
- 00:56:05 – Erik talks about the
podcast’s album cover art work.
- 01:00:30 – You need a woman’s
- 01:02:50 – Erik hates listening to
podcasts with just two guys’ bro-ing out.
- 01:07:05 – Find Erik and Grace on
FULL SHOW NOTES: http://www.podcastjunkies.com/75
Direct download: PJ075-ErikandGrace.mp3
-- posted at: 9:07am EDT
Mon, 25 January 2016
Jon Nastor is the host of Hack The Entrepreneur and the co-host
of Show Runner. Jon has had his own business for the past 13 years
and talks to me on his love for punk rock music, whom inspired him
to leave the 9-5 work structure, and his daughter’s entrepreneurial
spirit. Jon is also out with a new book titled Hack the
Entrepreneur, which you can purchase on Amazon.
- 03:15 – Jon talks family.
- 07:20 – Entrepreneurship is more
natural than a 9-5 job.
- 09:00 – Who inspired Jon to be
- 10:25 – Making mistakes is how we
- 12:40 – Jon talks about his
previous ‘real’ job.
- 15:55 – What stood out the most
about Jon’s last job?
- 19:00 – Jon talks about
- 21:15 – Jon loves Punk Rock
- 24:35 – Is Jon a
- 28:50 – Jon talks about his
daughter’s entrepreneurial spirit.
- 33:00 – Why did Jon start his own
- 37:00 – What gave Jon the
confidence to believe he could do it?
- 45:30 – Jon wouldn’t have been
able to speak with the entrepreneurs he wanted to without his
- 47:40 – Despite popular belief,
Jon is not well-rounded.
- 48:00 – How did Jon meet Jerod
- 53:55 – Jon takes extensive notes
while he is recording the show with his guests.
- 57:55 – You can ask Jon for his PDF interview ‘cheat sheet’ at
Jon@HackTheEntrepreneur.com or Twitter.
- 58:15 – What’s one thing Jon has
changed his mind about recently?
- 01:01:00 – Check out
http://hacktheentrepreneur.com/ and please check out Jon’s
FULL SHOW NOTES: http://www.podcastjunkies.com/74
Direct download: PJ074-JonnyNastor.mp3
-- posted at: 6:00am EDT
Sun, 17 January 2016
Espree Devora is the host of the WeAreLATech, focused on LA
Startups, and the Hello Customer podcasts. She co-produced the
panel “WHERE’S WALDO? Finding Social Influencers & Decreasing
Your Costs”, which brought in over 11,500 viewers in under an hour
via live stream. Espree doesn’t hold anything back in this
interview and opens up on why her business failed.
- 02:55 – This is my first podcast
interview in the car and my second in-person interview – ever.
- 05:15 – Espree could really use
some life instructions on guys.
- 07:15 – Conclusion: There’s no
hope for Espree.
- 09:20 – Why does Espree love
- 11:25 – Was it overwhelming for
Espree to start her own podcast?
- 15:10 – We talk podcast
- 17:15 – Espree and I talk
microphones and how to talk into them properly.
- 20:35 – Be concerned about your
- 20:50 – It takes roughly two
minutes to impress me when I listen to a podcast.
- 24:05 – Is Espree always like
- 28:40 – What happened to Espree’s
- 42:30 – What was the most
surprising thing about working on a yacht?
- 49:50 – Does Espree meditate?
- 57:35 – When Espree’s company
failed, she went into a two year depression.
- 01:00:40 – Integrity is incredibly
important to Espree.
- 01:03:00 – Espree talks about her
Hello Customer podcast.
- 01:08:10 – Espree talks Hello
- 01:10:30 – How important is family
- 01:15:25 – What is Espree excited
FULL SHOW NOTES: http://www.podcastjunkies.com/73
Direct download: Podcast-Junkies-Espree-Devora-Interview.mp3
-- posted at: 10:32pm EDT
Tue, 12 January 2016
Patrick Keller is the host of the Big Séance Podcast and a
middle school vocal music teacher. His podcast opens up a
discussion on all thing paranormal and touches on subjects like
ghost hauntings, spirit communication, paranormal research, and
more. Patrick talks about his childhood, his podcast obsession, and
his intense interest in the paranormal.
- 04:15 – Patrick went through the
whole Podcast Junkies catalog.
- 04:40 – Patrick ‘stole’ my hashtag
- 07:10 – What makes Patrick listen
to all the episodes in a podcast that he’s recently
- 11:35 – Does Patrick plan on going
to Podcast Movement?
- 13:20 – Patrick talks about being
a music teacher.
- 18:45 – Why is Patrick interested
in the paranormal?
- 25:15 – Why did Patrick start his
- 32:00 – Patrick talks about his
- 36:25 – What’s Patrick’s ‘big
fish’ guest list?
- 36:50 – Why are paranormal TV
shows so popular?
- 39:25 – Is The Blair Witch Project
- 45:40 – Patrick did almost every
creative class in school.
- 48:00 – Patrick talks about his
- 48:50 – I also wanted to build a
water slide when I was younger.
- 52:40 – Patrick talks about his
- 57:20 – Was it really a simpler
time back when we were growing up?
- 01:01:40 – Who are Patrick’s
- 01:08:10 – What kind of challenges
will Patrick have growing the show?
- 01:12:05 – What’s the most
misunderstood thing about Patrick?
- 01:16:00 – Patrick hasn’t had any
luck with the Ouija board.
FULL SHOW NOTES: http://www.podcastjunkies.com/72
Direct download: Podcast-Junkies-Patrick-Keller-Interview.mp3
-- posted at: 3:47am EDT
Mon, 4 January 2016
Morgan Dix is the co-founder and creative director for About
Mediation, as well as the host of The OneMind Meditation podcast.
He has 15 years of formal meditation training in a contemporary
yoga and meditation ashram, where he also created online courses
and learning opportunities for thousands of people. Morgan talks on
how he found meditation, his involvement with EnlightenNext, and
the key differences between mindfulness and meditation.
- 04:50 – What was Mark surprised
about at Podcast Movement?
- 08:25 – Mark talks about his first
podcast: The DC Universe Podcast.
- 12:40 – Podcasting has made Mark a
- 19:55 – Mark talks about his
- 25:00 – Mark talks about his
friend Ben Beaumont.
- 32:30 – That one guest isn’t going
to ‘make’ your show.
- 36:10 – Mark and I talk about our
- 40:35 – UK vs. US podcasting?
- 44:35 – Mark is a Dick
- 45:05 – Mark talks comics.
- 52:20 – His first memory of the
United States: Superman.
- 56:40 – Who are Mark’s
- 01:01:50 – What has Mark changed
his mind about recently?
FULL SHOW NOTES: http://www.podcastjunkies.com/71
Direct download: Podcast-Junkies-Morgan-Dix-Interview.mp3
-- posted at: 7:58am EDT
Tue, 29 December 2015
Bill Barol is the host of HOME: Stories From L.A. and the author
of Thanks for Killing Me. He is also a journalist and has written
for various web sites such as Forbes, Huffington Post, and others.
Although Bill’s podcast is relatively new, it really stood out to
me because of its high quality. Bill talks on how he came up with
the theme for the podcast and why he decided to use podcasting as
the medium. This episode is a bit longer than usual, so get
comfortable and enjoy the show!
- 00:05:35 – I talk about the
quality of Bill’s podcast.
- 00:06:25 – What has the reaction
to Bill’s podcast been like so far?
- 00:08:55 – Why did Bill decide to
get into podcasting?
- 00:14:05 – Bill talks about
equipment used for podcasting.
- 00:16:10 – Even though Bill’s
podcast is new, I knew right away he was taking it seriously.
- 00:20:15 – Home is a loaded word,
so why did he choose it for the theme of his podcast?
- 00:25:20 – Bill has a complicated
relationship with Philadelphia, the city he grew up in.
- 00:29:30 – Bill is open to hearing
out people’s story ideas for his podcast.
- 00:32:15 – Why was the 1994
Northridge earthquake a defining moment for Bill?
- 00:36:25 – That story stood out to
me because I was in New York during 9/11.
- 00:38:55 – How does Bill choose
the music he uses in the podcast?
- 00:44:25 – We learn about the back
story behind Episode 2: In Their Room.
- 00:55:05 – Bill talks about
Episode 3: One Man’s Town, and Episode 5: Growing Up 818.
- 01:09:10 – Bill talks about his
experience in journalism and the transformation from print to
- 01:12:50 – Bill talks about the
cover piece he wrote on David Letterman.
- 01:16:55 – We talk about
co-sleeping with our pets.
- 01:18:25 – What has Bill changed
his mind about recently?
- 01:20:10 – What challenges does
Bill anticipate while trying to grow the show?
- 01:28:00 – Be consistent with your
- 01:30:00 – Bill has been
publishing 2-3 minute extras from each interview that didn’t make
FULL SHOW NOTES: http://www.podcastjunkies.com/70
Direct download: PJ070-Bill-Barol.mp3
-- posted at: 11:50am EDT